Residential Yard Waste Permits

Kootenai County Fire & Rescue

Before You Burn:

Each day that you burn, call the Department of Air Quality (DEQ) at 1-800-633-6247 Option #3.  Be sure to change the location to Kootenai County Area for air quality conditions. You can only burn if the conditions are GREEN. DO NOT burn if the conditions are YELLOW or RED.

Where to Get Permits

Permits are issued through Idaho Dept. of Lands at Permits are good for 10-day periods.


  1. Burning must be conducted during DAYLIGHT HOURS ONLY. All fires must be completely out by dark. THIS MEANS COLD TO THE TOUCH!
  2. All fires must be attended at all times.
  3. Attendant must have a hose connected to a water supply, and/or a shovel on scene at all times.
  4. All fires shall be a minimum of 25’ from any structure (includes trees and fences).
  5. Fire Officials are authorized to require that burning be discontinued if smoke emissions are offensive to occupants of surrounding properties.
  6. Permits are required under the International Fire Code section 105.6.30



  • Untreated wood products
  • Dry lawn clippings
  • Cardboard
  • Dry garden waste
  • Paper
  • Leaves
  • Dry pine needles
  • Branches


  • Treated wood products
  • Pallets
  • Plastics
  • Furniture
  • Rubber products
  • Stumps (roots)
  • Paint & paint cans
  • Household garbage
  • Fiberglass products
  • Trade waste *
  • Carpeting & pads
  • Non-combustible items

*Trade waste includes any products generated from a business (ie: construction waste, nursery/landscaping waste, etc.)

If any of the above rules are violated, this permit may be revoked and you may be charged for staffing and equipment for responding to an illegal burn.

Any questions, contact Kootenai County Fire & Rescue at (208) 777-8500.

Hand Piled & Machine Piled Logging Slash Burn Permits

Burn Barrel Permits

All burn barrels must be in good condition, off the ground 3-4 inches on non-combustible blocks, a minimum of four 1” vent holes along the bottom sides of the barrel, and have a screen on top with ½ inch max.

read more